Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Blossom in a Basket


I had a few egg whites from my other 'projects'. To throw them away would be a waste and to fry them with an additional egg with its yolk may not be delicious. So I recalled a recipe I once followed - Rose Levy Beranbaum's White Velvet Butter Cake, that only calls for egg whites. 
 
The recipe will actually  yield two 9-inche round pan, height about 1.125 inches. However, I used the recipe for only one 9-inch square pan, which is actually bigger in capacity than a 9-inch round pan.

Well, if I cut the sides of my cake it will be about that height, but only one cake. Anyway, I was still happy about it. 

So because there wasn't a specific purpose for the cake, I simply cut the cake into four quarters (simple squares) and I stacked two squares together. I then decorated the mini cake. 

I used only the two squares. 

After stacking up the cake, I crumb coated it with buttercream. I used light brown as base, just as the colour of my end product. After that I started to pipe the basket and then the flowers freehand. 

Here is the finished product. I managed to get the variegated colours buy spreading some coloured paste on the piping bags first before I filled the bags with cream. I then mixed the colours in the bags. I like this variegated colours as they look more natural. 


This is how the cake looked like after cutting. Note that the cake is dliggy yellowish because I used brown vanilla instead of clear one. 

I hope you get some inspiration from this posting. 










 

No comments:

Post a Comment