Sunday, December 21, 2014

Butter Cupcakes



When I visited my mom in the hometown, she gave me two packets of self rising flour, as they are about to expire (mom is weaker now, she seldom bake). 

Yes, I am a hobbyist who actually hopes to become a professional baker one day. 

When my friend Dawn asked me to make some cupcakes for the Christmas celebration, I quickly decided to use the flour my mom gave me. 

I seldom use self rising flour in baking so I looked for a butter cake recipe that calls for self riding flour at http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19421/butter+cake

My review : 
1) The cakes were delicious and did smell great. They tasted like butter cookies to me. However, the cakes were too sweet. I will reduce the amount of sugar next time. 

2) Since I was using a 19x19cm square cake recipe for cupcakes, I reduced the baking time. It was a wise decision.

3) I poured too much of batter into each  cup so the cake rose quite high. I should have filled the cups half full. 
 
Here are the steps with pictures:

1) Get all the ingredients ready. 
* I put the vanilla powder and self rising flour together.

2) Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.

3) Add the eggs, one at a time and beat.  

4) Sift and add the flour and vanilla powder then continue beating. 

5) Mean while, get the cups and oven ready, meaning preheat the oven. 

6) Fill the cups half full with batter. 
*Notice I filled too much batter into the cups and that had caused the cake to rise too high. 

7) Bake in the preheat oven. 

8) Let the cakes cool then level the top by cutting them. 

These are the second batch I made, when I only half filled the cups. This is the height I was looking for. 

The cakes are now ready to be decorated. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment